Saturday, July 5, 2008

Blockbuster Knew

I just got home from Blockbuster and I am impressed. Their "bricks and mortar" store is connected directly to the online rent-by-mail service, and as far as I can tell, the connection is real-time.

I have the online plan where they send me one movie at a time via the mail (like Netflix), but I get the added advantage of getting a free rental and an immediate return of the mailer. Its great that I can have a different movie almost every 2 days with this setup, but that's not what this post is about.

Yesterday I went online and put Futurama "The Beast with a Billion Backs" on the top of my Queue. Today, I went to return a mailer and get a free movie... and lo and behold, the Futurama "The Beast with a Billion Backs" movie was right there on the shelf! I formed a plan to rent the movie, and rush home and remove it from the queue. I raced home and within 5 minutes I was in my online blockbuster queue. I was greeted with an alert that said that I had just rented Futurama "The Beast with a Billion Backs", and that it was also in my queue... and would I like to remove it from the Queue?... and would I like to always remove rented movies from the queue.

I'm impressed that they have this feature, but I'm more impressed that the system kicked in SO fast! Wow.

No comments: