Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Accumalizer.com Pretends to Care

I've been getting a lot of spam recently from Accumalizer.com. Various spam offerings always with the Accumalizer.com top banner with the sugar speckled gumdrop, makes it easy to identify and delete the spam.

I'm enraged by the good-neighbor spam policy at the bottom. It reads (FYI: I made the email change to someone@somewhere.com):

"Accumalizer.com thanks you for opting-in to receiving email advertising with us. You signed up one of our partners with the address someone@somewhere.com, but if you would prefer to you may unsubscribe from future correspondence at anytime.
Please visit the original website where you opted-in to view the relevant privacy policies.
Or, you may contact us at: 3 The Drive, Great Warley, Brentwood, CM13 3FR, UK (CoNo: 06187068)"

This is not only a half truth (I didn't opt-in in any fashion), but it's also intentionally vague and probably impossible to opt-out electronically. Since I didn't opt-in, or I don't know what horrible site gave them my email address, how do I return to the original site to tell them to stop? Even if I did figure it out, it probably WON'T stop Accumalizer since they already have my email address, and wouldn't notice an off-site unsubscribe!

It looks to me like they want to appear legit in being a good and responsible custodian of your personal information. Meanwhile they've made it impossible for anyone to actually unsubscribe!

I've tried their unsubscribe link, which is basically this form: http://accumalizer.com/webforms/accumalizer/unsub/
Yet I'd bet that it doesn't ultimately stop them. I'll add a comment later if the emails stop (or if they continue).

No comments: