Saturday, July 12, 2008

AVG Free v8 - Start automatic updates fix

Recently I found that my AVG Free (version 8 / AVG8), was not updating definitions and complained that "Database update is disabled" (strange since I had installed only this Vista x64 (64 bit) machine only about 1-2 months ago). I didn't reinstall, but I did find a fix:

The problem was that automatic updates were not enabled. But when I was not able to make AVG save my settings when I tried to enable it via:
Update Manager / Update Manager settings / Start automatic updates

I found Error: e001018b in the log file (C:\ProgramData\avg8\Log\avgcfg.log):

[AVG8.CFGMGR] ERROR 2008-07-12 14:25:06,155 AAFRY PID:3800 THID:2848 ID:{4B69726F-6E736B79-4C696C69-32303036-30393034}:519.134.79458 MSG:'DWORD:0x455295d4', 'DWORD:0x2', 'DWORD:0xffffffff', 'DWORD:0xffffffff', 'ERRORCODE:0xe001018b'

The solution was to remove the schedule config file (C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\sched.cfg), and let it be recreated. Here's what I did:

  1. Move "C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\*.cfg" to "C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\old" (NOTE: you might want to try moving JUST sched.cfg... that might be enough)
  2. Open AVG console from the system tray
  3. Check the box at Update Manager / Update Manager settings / Start automatic updates
  4. Perform "update now" on all AVG components
  5. Reboot
At this point everything seems fine.

These files were automatically recreated:
C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\mail.cfg
C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\sched.cfg
C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\update.cfg
These files were NOT auto recreated:
C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\krnl.cfg
C:\ProgramData\avg8\Cfg\user.cfg

File paths/directories will probably be different on Windows Vista vs Windows XP. To reiterate, I'm using Vista x64, so the paths above are for Vista.

If anyone does the above procedure with moving JUST sched.cfg, let me us know if it worked for you.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I just renamed sched.cfg, and everything seems to work. THANKS.

(tip for others: look in the userdata directory (documents and settings), not the program dir of AVG)

EVANS said...

Using XP here, and found the sched.cfg file in the c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\avg8\cfg folder. This might be a hidden folder, so make sure you are viewing all folders/files when you go looking for it.

I renamed the sched.cfg file (just as geen did) and it looks like the problem has gone away. Yay!

Unknown said...

Thanks, guys! You really saved me! I appreciate it. I just renamed the XP file and it was an immediate fix!

Ian said...

Thank you to everyone on this. Especially to Daniel (I could not find the correct folder). This fix works perfectly. Thank you.

jAsontbk said...

THAANKS man! it worked for me too =) Im still using windows 2000, and the path for the file is the same as that for windows XP (see daniel's comment above) =)

Jay Briar said...

awesome. that worked. the internet solves all my problems once again...

jlaf said...

Thank's from Brazil, man, solved in 2 minutes !!!! My best regards to you!!

Jason said...

thanks for this, saved me heaps of time investigating it myself

Rajesh Garg said...

Thanks Buddy, I solved mproblem by renaming three files. sched.cfg, update.cfg and mail.cfg

Thanks again.

Unknown said...

thx ;) works like a charm