Sunday, August 10, 2008

Service manuals are very useful !

My printer broke and I was confident that I'd be able to fix the simple problem once I downloaded the service manual. I have to say it was very cool to be able to get a hold of that manual ! It has instructions on how to diagnose, disassemble and fix. The printer went through the motions, just didn't lay any ink... must be clogged, should be easy to fix.

The printer actually stopped printing about 2 years ago, and I had since abandoned the overly expensive and questionable ethics of that printer's manufacturer. Since I HAD purchased extra printer ink cartridges with that company's settlement to the class action lawsuit (pertaining to questionable ink practices)... I wanted to use up that ink, and spare some ink on my new Canon PIXMA MP780.

I have to applaud any company (even the maker of this printer and its expensive ink) that has a service manual that I can find online (I got it at this site). Kudos ! I also found community help for exactly the problem I had. Regardless of technical expertise or skills, I think everyone should have the chance to get the full manuals and self-help for all the products they own.

My project started following A FIX for Clogged Printheads which was VERY nice. The disassembly, construction of make-shift tools, and use of anti-freeze... all went great removing tons of gunk from my old printhead. Followed all instructions, didn't help in the end. I was still happy and empowered by the community help.

Then I found and dove into the service manual. I wouldn't gotten nearly as far carefully and gracefully locating and removing the proper screws without it. I usually break things as I'm being careful, which I didn't do as I followed the manual.

As the manual pointed me at screws that could only be reached with long narrow specialized screwdrivers I started to get frustrated, but still thinking there was SOME hope that I'd be able to reseat them all and get this thing back together.

Having to ultimately go for removing the printhead itself (ugh), I abandoned the manual, and honestly all hope of ever getting this darn thing back together. Just think though, without the manual I wouldn't have ended up with this, or potentially in the mood to buy a new printer. Too bad I already decided I didn't like this one's manufacturer, I might have bought another of their printers merely because I was empowered with the service manual to destroy my old one!


Care with the service manual lead to not caring and destruction.

Well, at least the 3 day project is now over, and I've got some additional neat parts for my Junk box.

No comments: