Monday, September 8, 2008

Don't Give to Rude Telemarketers

Hey Telemarketers!
Telemarketers, when you call me midday or in the evenings, I am not happy or receptive to your message... but I am polite. I generally will try to end the call gracefully. If you are rude to me, then I start to question why I am being polite to you.

Fraternal Order of Police
Yesterday evening I received a call from the Fraternal Order of Police, asking for a donation to their noble cause. I listened and waited for a chance to reply and when I calmly said "no thank you" they immediately hung up.
Today, to my surprise, I received another call from the Fraternal Order of Police (in the afternoon). I interrupted the telemarketer a few times to make sure that I was talking with the same organization, as I made notes. Then I interrupted again and said that they had called yesterday and were rather rude to me. I conveyed that they hung up on me after I had politely refused. As this telemarketer tried to break in, I said that I was NOT happy with them, and I hung up. I'm surprised that I was able to hang up on them before they hung up on me.

March of Dimes
I like the intent of this organization, but their fund raising efforts are ruthless. The March of Dimes has called my house asking for my wife... I'll ask who they are. After they respond I tell them that my wife isn't around, but I can help them. At that point they tend to hang up without further response. Later (sometimes hours, sometimes days) they call back, identified by caller ID, and hang up quickly when they find out that my wife isn't available. To me, that's rude and devious. It is also impossible to get off their mailing list.

Not Over the Phone
Additionally, stop insisting that I give right now! I tell anyone who calls that I do not make donation decisions over the phone. Send me information in the mail, and I'll make my decisions casually when I sit down to pay bills. I've had telemarketers hang up when I tell them that I do not commit to donations over the phone, but that I would like them to send information to me.

Who are the Telemarketers Helping? Themselves?
Some of the telemarketers that call me are not doing justice to the charities that they represent. Either through poor phone etiquette, or not providing a high enough percentage back to the charity. The telemarketers that are now blocked by do-not-call lists seem to have moved to calling for charities. They see the potential for raising money for a charity, the potential to get around the do-not-call list, and a way to make profits again. I've asked some of the telemarketers that call me about what percentage goes to the charity... some don't know, some are low percentages, and others are more reasonable. I don't know how March of Dimes works, but do your own googling on the telemarketers calling for Fraternal Order of Police... I've seen horrible reports stating the charity gets as low as 12%. All of these comments are about the telemarketers representing the charities. I'm sure the charities are worth while, but ask some questions and do some quick research (Google) before you give to any charity through a second party service (ex: what percent goes to the charity?)... that's why I don't make decisions over the phone!

Give, but Not to Telemarketers
I do suggest that everyone find a charity they feel is deserving, and find a comfortable way to donate to them. Each year I tithe to our church and give to some charities. I'm also on the board of NathanCan Foundation (NathanCan.org) working to help chronically sick kids. If I weren't giving or directly participating in a charity, I'd feel like this entire discussion was merely an excuse not to give anyone anything... but there ARE good and deserving causes out there, and GOOD ways to donate.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

It is too bad that politicians continue to exempt themselves from Do Not Call law.

StopPoliticalCalls.org is fighting for the privacy of the American voter.

1 - Creating a Political Do Not Call Registry
2 - Testifying in the US Senate about robo calls (Sen. Feinstein’s Robocall Privacy Act)
3 - Forcing states to enforce existing robo call laws (CA, MN, NJ, etc..)
4 - Getting politicians to take a do not robo call pledge (7 have)

As I testified at the US. Senate these robo calls are an epidemic and this election cycle “phone spam” and are invading the privacy of All American Voters.

Our members are taking a stand and saying enough is enough at the National Political Do Not Contact Registry at StopPoliticalCalls.org.

Here is a quote from a member recently:

"I'm a shift worker, working variable shifts. I depend on my sleep to be able to do my job safely and efficiently. I'm a locomotive engineer. Imagine the disaster were I to fall asleep, operating a freight train carrying hazardous materials in your neighborhood, due to fatigue from being awoken in my middle of the night on a continuous basis during election season. Please stop.."

Learn more.

Shaun Dakin
CEO
Www.StopPoliticalCalls.org
A non-profit fighting for the privacy of the American voter